Saturday, October 13, 2012

Homemade Dog Treats


As a baker, I love to have cookies on hand for all my guests whether they have four legs or two. For my four legged friends, I like to bake homemade dog treats.

Dogs Love These

My friend was coming over for lunch and she was bringing her dog with her. I had some ginger spice cookies on hand for my friend, but I wanted to have some homemade dog treats for her doggie. For these treats, you will need:
  • 12 ounces whole wheat flour
  • 12 ounces bread flour
  • 2 ounces wheat germ
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 ounces dry milk powder
  • 1 cup chicken stock

Instruction

  1. Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
  2. Whisk the eggs and oil together.
  3. Whisk the dry ingredients into the egg and oil mixture.
  4. Dissolve milk powder in chicken stock, then incorporate it into the batter.
  5. The dough will be firm, adjust as needed so that it is pliable.
  6. Let the dough rest for 30 minutes.
  7. Roll out the dough to 1/2 inch thickness, just like you would a sugar cookie but a little thicker.
  8. Let the dough rest a bit longer.
  9. Cut using a cookie cutter. You can use a bone shaped cutter if you can find one (I happen to have a squirrel shaped cutter that I found in an arts and crafts store).
  10. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray. Then, place a sheet of parchment paper on the cookie sheet and spray the paper with non-stick spray.
  11. Place the dog cookies on the cookie sheet.
  12. Bake at 350 degree Fahrenheit for 35-40 minutes.
  13. Let the doggie yummies cool on a cooling rack.

No comments: